Costa Rica’s government plans to seek a bilateral agreement with the US on steel shipments following last week’s announcement of a 25% tariff on all US steel imports, according to the country’s Ministry of Foreign Trade.
“Costa Rica has been clear in arguing that the exports of these [steel] products from our country do not constitute a threat to the national security of the United States,” it said late Wednesday.
According to the ministry, the government is analyzing in detail the measure in order to defend Costa Rica’s interests, but continuing to promote activities within the US.
“The administration prioritizes a bilateral approach while monitoring the evolution of the issue at the World Trade Organization,” it said.
Trade minister Alexander Mora said the country will continue to work with